The Village of Manito was surveyed and platted in
1858. It consisted of 110 acres. From its inception, the railroad
played an important part in the growth of Manito. A depot, post
office, and other private enterprises soon formed a "Main Street" in
town that over the years was the commercial center of Manito.
Manito is now a progressive community with a
population of 1,733. The original "main Street" still exists and
houses many new and progressive businesses. Also, a new "Commercial
Marketing" area has grown up along Adams Street or the Manito
Blacktop that includes a bank, savings and loan, grocery, general
stores, churches, service stations and more.
Manito is primarily an agricultural community.
Most of the business in the Village is in some way related to
agriculture. The diverse soil in the area leads to a broad range of
crops and farming methods. To the North and East of Manito are
several thousand acres of peat that is so rich that at one time in
the Village's history it was dried, processed and bagged. The Dirt
Factory can still be seen off in the distance. To the North, West
and South of Manito lies sand. Sand is ideal for the growing of
melons and Christmas trees which, over the years, have brought some
notoriety to the area. Irrigation has been available in the area
since the 1950's with center pivots starting in the early 60's with
110 ft. deep wells pumping 1000 gallons of water per minute.
Irrigation has enhanced agriculture in the area by tapping into the
aquifer which flows beneath the area. Today, because of modern
farming techniques, scientific fertilization and irrigation, some
marginal land has been brought into full production.
Great schools, recreation facilities, hunting and
fishing areas, civic organizations, friendly neighbors and hometown
pride make Manito a great place to live and raise a family.